Seniors, in less than six months you will be graduating from High School. Where are you in the recruiting process?
If have already verbally committed, congratulations. If not, you need to pick up the pace. Over the next several weeks to months, colleges will be “closing their books” on the class of 2009. If you hope to be playing at the next level in the fall of 2009 here is what I recommend doing:
- Make a list of your top 15 college choices
- If you have already made your list, it is time to reevaluate that list
- Choose your dream schools, realistic schools and fall back schools (Some may overlap)
- Ask yourself, if I wasn’t playing a sport, would I want to go to that school? (Remember, there is an off-season)
- Find out the situation for your position at those schools
- Is the starter a senior?
- What about the back ups?
- How many people on the roster play your position?
- Make sure that you have video ready to show them
- Call the coach (You make the call, not your parents)
- Keep calling until you get a hold of him/her
- Prove to that coach that you are a great fit for their program
- Be assertive and keep in contact (squeaky wheel gets the oil)
We all dream about going to a top- ranked athletic program. Maybe you can attend one, but will you play? Find the college where you can play for 3-4 years and get a solid education. That positive experience wil last a lifetime.